Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I like chocolate cake......a lot!

Rexford and Ethan came home from a teen retreat Monday night. It was the first retreat I can remember our church going to since we have had teenagers. We have been attending the church for about 9 years now! Since Lilly was 4 months old! Ethan commented, “I thought it was a myth that girls spend a lot of time in the bathroom but it’s not a myth”. I guess you never know what your kids will learn! We also discovered Ethan dislikes “Christian” rap music. Ok I guess that doesn’t come as a surprise. Rexford liked hiking the most and Ethan liked the games they played, some newspaper game where you hit someone on the head with it.

I feel a cold coming on, and honestly I had to make myself not get mad about it. I have tried hard to stay healthy and to stay away from sick people. We are still working on a couple of projects around the house. Hopefully we will finish them before the end of summer :) I am still trying to work on losing my baby fat, Geneva is 2 ½ now and I haven’t lost all of the weight I gained while pregnant with her. It is terrible and awful! I have not been motivated to lose the rest of it and my self control is low. Our friends from Mississippi are coming up; we are looking forward to visiting with them. They have 5 kids and their youngest is one month older than Geneva.

Last week I was talking to someone about a book Rex and I went through shortly after we started going to church. Growing Kids God’s Way. There is a ton of good info in that book. There is also some stuff in that book I disagree with as with any book it’s not totally perfect except for the BIBLE of course. We have reasonably well behaved children. We used to have some people say to us, well wait till they are teenagers and once we had a couple teenagers some will say, wait till they are driving, I am sure after they begin to drive they will say something like, wait till they move out of the house. On and on. We don’t seem to have the same problems with our children that others do, we definitely have problems though. We don’t think our children’s main influences should be their peers, that is one of the reasons why we homeschool. So what if people think we don’t socialize our children enough. I believe that is a major with some people, don’t worry about our children, you probably have enough to worry about with your own. If there is something we are doing that is not biblical, then that’s another story, we would obviously want to know. So books that are about super scheduling or being super permissive (running every time you hear your baby whimper and meeting there every whim) are not part of our lives. If you are training up your children by a program that is not biblical don’t expect much out of your children. I am not the same parent I was 15 years ago, I hope I am better. Full of mistakes for sure but always trying to do what the Lord would want me to do.

No comments: