Monday, March 14, 2005

Why am I a Republican?

You might be thinking who cares why I am a Republican. Surprising as it is, some people wonder why. So I thought what better way to answer it then on my blog.

Long, long ago in the 80's….I don't remember being raised Democrat or Republican, I think my parents voted for Ronald Reagan. (Who voted for Jimmy Carter or would even admit to it now?) I can remember thinking Russia was an evil empire and we should never trust them at their word. Ok so my opinion of Russia hasn't changed since the 80's. You know the saying I don't trust them as far as I could throw them, I think I could throw Putin a little bit and I wouldn’t even trust him that much:) As time went on in the 80's I didn't care for Ronald Reagan, I believed the slanted news I watched occasionally on tv. I thought someone else must be running our country because our president was too old etc…everything the news media said I believed, sounds pretty naïve to believe what you’re being fed without thinking about it but that was me in my teen years.

When I was 17 years old I was asked to register to vote. In a parking lot of a store there were tables set up to register new voters. I said I couldn’t since I was 17 but they said I could register if I turned 18 that year. So I was excited and started filling out my form. I came to the box where they wanted to know which party I wanted to register with. I looked up and asked one of the people behind the table if they knew if Democrats where for or against abortion. I gathered that Democrats were Pro-Choice, and that’s what I thought I was….I mean I thought I was a Democrat. I couldn't get myself to identify with people who think it is ok to rip babies out of a woman's womb, all the while saying it was a choice. I had a baby born at 5 months and could tell you they are real and precious and the thought of someone killing their own flesh and blood was very foreign to me. I was poor and thought that meant that I should be a Democrat. I certainly couldn't be a Republican! One of the people behind the table I assume could see I was struggling to put something in that box, he said I could put Independent and change it whenever I wanted to later on. Independent!!! That sounded great. I was one of those people who didn't like to conform to the rest of society so Independent was right up my alley.

The year was 1989 when I register as an Independent…I had a long time before I could vote in the next presidential election.( I will not tell you who my husband voted for but if you remember who ran against George Bush in 1988 you will have the answer, he got his news from MTV at that time:) A lot of things happened in those 3 years. I had 2 children (Rexford and Ethan). The most important event that happened in 1991 and also the most important event in my life was the Lord saved me. He opened my eyes about Him and myself. I was looking at things from the Bible's perceptive and not my own anymore. We stopped watching TV and also burned all our music cd's (I am not recommending anyone do that). We were in our own world and a lot of our time was spent learning about God. We attended a Southern Baptist Church at the time, it was the Pastor of this church who shared the gospel with me and became an important part of our lives. At the time, Rex was going to college and I was working at Chi Chi’s. He watched the kids while I worked (I am not recommending anyone do this either!). On the way to work I would try and find a radio station to listen to. I came across Rush Limbaugh. I was so amazed….I would be saying “Amen” out loud or be laughing all the way to work. His show had more comedy in it in 1991. He had the frog man singing and the femi-nazi commercials. Well anyway, he was spouting out the truth and I was eagerly taking it in. Why was it ok for me to be listening to Rush and not the news media, simply the facts. Why am I a Republican? Abortion, state’s rights, small government, defense, capitalism. I thought about adding horrible graphics of abortion, but I couldn’t get myself to do it. You can just look through my blog to see the pictures of my children. Babies who are just like them are not given a chance at life because it might be inconvenient for the mother or change her body. Everyday children are murdered in cold blood by their mothers and a corrupt doctor and I will NEVER vote for a man or woman who says it’s ok, its their choice, it’s their body. I think you need to take some of the blame and look at the blood on your own hands if you think its ok and vote for someone you will do nothing to change this horrible law.

The news media has changed since the 1980’s. I rarely listen to Rush now, I am busy during the hours he is on. We have so many more choices!!! Yeah a choice when no one gets murdered. I still don’t watch the big 3 for any news. I get my news from the internet, Fox News and talk radio. You might be thinking that I only get a bias view of the news, but I don’t because conservatives are not afraid to tell you the other side of issues and have liberals on their shows to explain them. When conservatives just give the facts and let the people make their own opinions they are accused of conspiracies and of being bias. The truth is hard for the liberal to understand. Example; When President Bill Clinton had oral sex with Monica L. it was reported that the Republicans were out to get him. There was a right wing conspiracy to impeach the President. As we all know it was proven true, Bill Clinton was guilty of adultery while being our President in the White House. Liberals don’t want you to think for yourself, they want you to believe whatever they report. Its part of the underlying problem with Democrats, they have communist tendencies. They really don’t want you to have a choice in the news you watch, the stores you want to patronize, the schools you want your children to attend, the books your children use at school, the doctors you want to see, the cars you want to own, etc..etc.

Is abortion the only issue that makes me a Republican, no it is not but it is a very important one. I can’t understand how some one could be a Democrat and a Christian. I am a Christian before anything else and I want to live as Christ would want me to live. I am thankful to God I was able to vote with a clear conscience in 1992, 1996, 2000 and 2004. I am thankful that I live in America and I can freely worship God.

5 comments:

Sornie said...

How can you relate being a Republican with being Christian? I am a Catholic who freely voices my opinions against some of the church's beliefs and have been a Democrat who leans towards Independent for all of my voting life. It boggles my mind, too, that some in our country base their political choice on one issue such as abortion. Why are people so close-minded to make such broad sweeping judgements?

Marion said...

It seems that your mind is easily boggled. (Just kidding) But why would it disturb you that some people find abortion to be such an important issue that it could be the deciding factor in their voting. We elect government officials to make and enforce laws. Laws by their very nature are moral. Why in the world would I even consider giving the power to make and enforce laws to anyone with such moral vacuity that they cannot see the heinousness of ripping an innocent unborn child from its mother’s womb? Why would it be considered “closed-minded” to make the general observation that Republicans for the most part are pro-life and Democrats are usually pro-choice (pro-murder)? After all, even though there are many individual exceptions, that observation is clearly seen in each party’s official platform. You may feel comfortable being a Roman Catholic while freely disagreeing with your Pope, but I am a Christian and I can NOT feel free to disagree with the Bible. Thou shall not murder. Exodus 20.

Unknown said...

How interesting. Only show the comments that you find easy to counter, ditch the ones that you can't. Oh well, Republicans as usual.

Marion said...

I am an environmentalist too, I will not let you pollute my blog with your nonsense. Maybe you should try to be more tolerate.

Unknown said...

Your blog. Your rules. Enough said. Best of all to you.